As you may have seen from previous posts, last Thursday (8th August) Mgr Giovanni Cefai was welcomed upon his arrival in Malta. He has already started a series of encounters, the first today with H.E. Bishop Charles J. Scicluna and H.E. Auxiliary Bishop Joseph Galea Curmi. Before he crosses over to Malta’s sister island, we would like to share with you the schedule of events which will mark the Bishop’s visit throughout the coming days and weeks both in Malta and Gozo.
Sunday, 11th August
- At 9.45am Mgr Giovanni will be accompanied by a cortege leaving from the MSSP’s House, Dar Stella Maris in his home-town, Zebbuġ. Taking part in this cortege will be all those adolescents and children who this year have received the sacrament of Confirmation and Holy Communion. They will be led by the Santa Marija Band Club and the residents of Zebbuġ who will walk towards the Church of the Assumption where Mgr Giovanni will celebrate a solemn pontifical Eucharistic celebration. The Eucharist will be aired live on TVM2.
- At 9.00pm Mgr Giovanni will celebrate the Eucharist with the Pakistani Community in Malta at St Joseph’s Home Chapel, Sta Venera. The said community, led by Fr Bernard Mangion, mssp meets every Sunday. It one of the MSSP ministries that Fr Bernard leads here in Malta.
Monday, 12th August
- Mgr Giovanni will be paying a visit to Mons. Mario Grech, Bishop of Gozo at the Bishop’s Curia in Victoria and at 6.00pm he shall celebrate the Eucharist in the Chapel of the MSSP House in Zebbuġ, Gozo.
Wednesday, 14th August
- Mgr Giovanni will be celebrating the Eucharist at 6.00pm at St George’s Basilica in Victoria.
- Later on in the evening at 00pm, he will lead the first part of the Vigil of the Assumption and will then co-celebrate the Vigil Mass with Mons. Mario Grech at Our Lady of Ta’ Pinu Sanctuary. This will mark the closure of the Diocesan Marian Year. It will be during this celebration, that Mgr Giovanni will be taking an oath, entrusting his episcopal ministry in Our Lady’s protection.
Thursday, 15th August
- Mgr Giovanni will be celebrating the Solemnity of the Feast of the Assumption at the Basilica of St Peter and St Paul in Nadur at 10.30am.
- On the Feast of the Assumption he will be leading the titular procession that leaves the Cathedral of the Assumption at 6.45pm from Victoria.
Saturday, 17th August
- Mgr Giovanni will be celebrating a Eucharist at the St Joseph’s Home Yard, Sta Venera at 7.30pm. All lay volunteers who participated in our missions in Peru, and CAM Benefactors are encouraged to attend for this Eucharist.
Sunday, 18th August
- At 8.00am Mgr Giovanni will be leading the titular procession of St Helena, Birkirkara.
- At 10.00am he will be celebrating the Eucharist at Saint Dominic Church, Valletta.
- At 7.15pm a solemn pontifical celebration will be held at the Cathedral of the Assumption in Victoria. It will be here that Mons Mario Grech will be officially welcoming Mgr Giovanni on behalf of the Gozo Diocese.
Monday, 19th August
- In the morning he will be visiting the sick and the elderly in their homes in Zebbuġ, Gozo whilst administering them the Eucharist. In the evening at 8.30pm, he will preside over a concert by the Santa Marija Band Club of Zebbuġ and he will then visit the Band Club’s premises.
- At 7.00pm Mgr Giovanni will be celebrating the Eucharist at Qala, Gozo.
Saturday, 24th August
- At 5.30pm he leads the solemn Transposition and also the first Vespers as part of the Feast of the Assumption in Zebbuġ.
Sunday, 25th August
- At 10.30am he will be leading the solemn Pontifical Eucharistic celebration and later at 7.00pm will lead the Procession marking the Feast of the Assumption in Zebbuġ, Gozo.
Monday, 26th August
- Mgr Giovanni will be celebrating the Eucharist at the MSSP Oratory, Birkirkara at 7.00pm.
Tuesday, 27th August
- Mgr Giovanni will be celebrating the Eucharist at 7.00pm at the Parish Church of Our Lady of Loreto in Għajnsielem.
Thursday, 29th August
- Mgr Giovanni will be celebrating the Eucharist at the Rotunda Church of St John the Baptist in Xewkija at 7.00pm.
Friday, 30th August
- Mgr Giovanni will be celebrating a Pontifical Mass at St. John’s Co-Cathedral, Valletta, Malta. Everyone is invited.
Saturday, 31st August
- At 7.00pm he will be celebrating the Eucharist at the Parish Sanctuary of the Sacred Heart of Jesus in Fontana.
Sunday, 1st September
- At 10.00am he will be celebrating the Eucharist at Marsascala.
- He will then be celebrating the Eucharist at 7.00pm at the Our Lady of Victories Basilica, in Xagħra.